Book Review: Disorderly by Jayme K

Disorderly

(Requested by Before Sunrise Press)

Warning – extensive descriptions of cannibalism and mention of necrophilia

Colton Reznik is in his late twenties and has terminal brain cancer, which turns him into an even bigger arsehole than he already is. He’s also a writer and a tumblr blogger – one of those cynical ones. He’s severed most ties with his friends and family and hates everybody and everything. One day, he decides to venture outside.

He really shouldn’t have done that.

A deadly virus is spreading across America (not dissimilar to Supernatural’s Croatoan) which is turning people into… well, zombies of sorts. You can guess what happens next. Reznik gets bitten and infected. At first, nothing happens. Then, he experiences a previously unknown attraction to raw meat, which leads to him going on a murderous and cannibalistic rampage.

The first thing you need to know about this book is that it is, to put it bluntly, a work of transgressive fiction. It is also the first work of the type I’ve ever come across, so I didn’t really know what to expect. Jayme K, however, from what my research tells me, takes “transgressive” to a whole new level. Colton Reznik is probably one of the most repulsive characters I’ve ever come across (and I’ve read about Joffrey Baratheon). Someone pointed out that he might as well be an extreme case of online trolls who troll IRL as well as online. The instances of sexism, slut-shaming racism, xenophobia and homophobia are almost on every single page. Some have pointed out that this guy is a grown-up modern day Holden Caulfield. I disagree – while Holden and Colton are both “misunderstood and angry at everything”, deep down Holden was a good guy. Colton is a horrible excuse for a human being. At first, I kept rolling my eyes at the author’s writing style, and was offended, but then I looked him up. Jayme writes for ThoughtCatalog and blogs on Tumblr, and he is probably one of the most sarcastic writers I’ve ever come across.

“Disorderly” is, therefore in no way meant to be taken seriously. The language of the book is pretty repulsive 95% of the time, what with all the racism, sexism etc, as well as graphic descriptions of cooking human flesh, but somehow, Jayme makes it work. The remaining 5% are actually inspiring writing quotes that Jayme sneaks in. Overall, this isn’t something I’d read again – not because Jayme is a bad writer (quite the contrary), but because transgressive zombie novels aren’t my thing. I was going to give it a 6/10 rating, but the excessive use of the “c-word” when describing people made me knock it down to 5/10.

Favourite character:

None – Reznik may be horrible, but thanks to Jayme’s writing, the supporting characters are even worse. So I’m gonna have to go with his cat – he’s amusing.

Character who gets the most development:

Colton – his “development” is central to the story

Favourite quotes:

“It wasn’t until I began blogging about the logistics involved in eating human flesh that I recaptured their attention”

“If I wanted to read bad “horror” stories, I’d look up homoerotic fanfiction”

Dreamcast

Colton Reznik – Kevin Zegers (I’ve got a feeling that Colton himself, as well as Jayme, would hate that idea)

Oliver – Ryan Cartwright

Leah – Blake Lively

Recommendations. 

You might enjoy “Disorderly” if you liked:

“Perfume” by Patrick Suskind;

Season 3 of “Bones”

“Hannibal”

(Source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18052174-disorderly)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s